Friday, June 11, 2010

Stop and Smell The Roses

My mother tells me that I like to drive.
Actually, I do. One of my favorite rides is along the Wasatch Blvd in Salt Lake City. It rolls along the mountain bank, and you can see the entire Salt Lake valley. This ride is really quite spectacular at night. You have a valley full of lights, colors and patterns.
I have learned the advantage of riding around town on a scooter. The smells. I get hit with whiffs of fragrance that can bring a smile to my face. I love driving by Lilac bushes in the early spring. I like this smell. Then, I have a nose full of Russian Olive trees as I ride along Van Winkle Express way. I am lucky that I don't have an allergy to this tree, like many of my friends.
Then there are food smells. My son lives right across the Rio Cafe on 33rd South. You can smell the barbecued pulled pork, especially when you drive by early in the morning.
The other day I was riding and was hit with the sweet smell of sweet breads. Cinnamon, sugar, yum mm.
My recommendation? If you don't dare doing a scooter, drive on the side roads, instead of I-15, and roll down your windows. Remember the old adage "Be sure to take time to smell the roses"!

No comments:

Post a Comment