Sunday, June 27, 2010

Road Trip to Veyo







Tongue cannot interpret the joy and gratitude in my heart at this moment. What follows will be a second rate offering. (However, for being speechless, I am about to put down nearly 1100 words. Reader be warned )
It began with me picking up a cheap rental car reservation a couple of weeks ago. I had other intentions for the weekend that didn’t work out. So, I canceled some of the other reservations I had made but was inspired to keep the car reservation. After a week of contemplation, I decided I would go to Veyo to sit in the sun, soak in the mineral pool and eat their wonderful grilled food. Not that their food is uber great, just the fact that I wanted to enjoy the day. I mentioned to Bret that I was coming, and so we decided to make a family trek of it.
I picked up the car early, 7:00 instead of 9:00 a.m. thanks to friend Randy Keller. I got an upgrade. I drove a white Toyota Camry. I went home and finished packing, and got on the road by 8:00 or so. It was a wonderful drive, little traffic congestion and a beautiful day. Red Indian Paintbrush lined the freeway in areas that had been burned over years before. The area was still quite green from the wet Spring we have been experiencing.
I arrived at Veyo around 1:00 p.m. I changed into my swim trunks, oiled down and got in the pool. A refreshing dive and I was relaxed. I watched the kids play, jump in and out. What fun they were having. I found a chaise lounge, spread out my blanket and caught some rays.
After a second dip in the pool, I ordered lunch. I ordered a Pronto Pup. I don’t think I have ever ordered a Pronto Pup. I know I have finished off a few, but a Pup, Fries and refreshed my soda. I was set in the shade with a good book and a great lunch.
After the appropriate amount of time following a meal, I dove back into the water. It was refreshing each time I jumped in. Another turn in the sun, this time with the book, another dip, and it was time to leave. Darn it.
On the way into St. George I met with my father-in-law Stan Snow at the Arctic Circle. I had arraigned to meet him and share my heart’s desire –n to ensure that Lori have the resources and plan to purchase the Pine Valley home from his estate when he and Betty are passed. I told him that this was one of my top priorities for the near future, and to prepare what it would take to contract with him for this end. He agreed. We had a wonderful visit. In fact, it was a long longer than I had expected, for the kids were expecting me for dinner.
I was met with an excited “Grandpa Jim” from my granddaughter Faye. She had been waiting for me to “come to town.” What a thrilling welcome. It was wonderful as she kept my attention all weekend. Holland was there for dinner, as well. It was wonderful (I seem to be using that word a lot.) Bret and Lori were preparing dinner. Bret was grilling chicken and Lori had made a mac-n- cheese concoction with chard and tomatoes from her garden. They were also boiling a artichokes from a friends garden. What a treat.
We enjoyed dinner and then made our way into the backyard where I saw the results of their hard labor. Their lawn was coming in and they had a beautiful garden. Chard, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, squash of many varieties, it was wonderful. They have worked hard. Who knew… Anyway, we visited for a long while. Holland had to leave, Faye went to bed and we continued to visit. We talked about the garden, about their lives, about my life, about a great many things. I slept like a baby.
The morning started three different times. I woke at 6:30 just after Bret left for work. I woke again after 7:15ish, and wandered around a quiet house. I woke again around 8:00 to Bret making omelets, Faye crawling out of bed and Lori getting ready for work.
After breakfast Bret wanted Faye to take a nap, but it was too early. So, Faye brought me a book to read. Bret layed down on the floor, traded blankets with Faye and fell asleep. Faye and I got through several books before Bret woke up and said we were late to lock down the office.
He took me on a tour of his plant. It was really quite interesting all the machines, different steps, high tech stuff he deals with. I am amazed that he is responsible for things that go in airplanes, shuttles, tanks and even a part for a machine that helps sort mail. It was fun. I promised Faye an ice cream. She wanted green ice cream. We ended up with Brown Toppers at the “Ice Cream Store” Arctic Circle on the way out of town for Veyo.
What fun we had. Faye was a doll and didn’t want to get out of the water. She swam with floaties, something new for her, and made friends with anyone who would talk to her. We had lunch, I ordered another Pronto Pup, and swam some more. Faye was tired, but even after Bret lovingly tried to sing her to sleep; it was back to the pool. After a while, she finally would let us get out, pack up and leave. She was asleep before I got the car from reverse to forward pulling out of the parking lot.
I stayed for dinner – all out of the garden, chard greens, spaghetti squash with sauce, beets, zucchini bread with apricot syrup. What a treat. I brought some chard, zucchinis and apricot jam and syrup as a treat to share with others.
A beautiful sunset accompanied me out of town as I offered a prayer of gratitude. A Joe vs the Volcano moon greeted me around Fillmore and it the end of a perfect second day.
As I said, words escape me but, I can’t tell you how refreshed and alive I feel at this moment. I know I am loved by my family and by my Father in Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you were able to have a great time. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete