Saturday, May 29, 2010

Someone Should Warn 'Em

I really haven't mentioned that I am in the process of a divorce. After 32 years, I am facing life alone. I am moving into a new apartment after staying with my mother for a few weeks. (Thanks Mom!) And I am amazed at all the things I need.
I have a little furniture: Couch, bed, old dresser, office table and desk and a couple of side chairs. Nothing fancy. What I don't have are the little things that make a home. You know, pots, pans, dishes, silverware, dish towels, vacuum, iron and ironing board, spices, mustard, Ketchup, serving or mixing bowls, a pizza cutting wheel and on and on.
Someone should invent a "party" for divorcing men. A man's buddies should host a party at the neighborhood bar or pizza restaurant, ask their wives to get them some of the necessary items a man will need, wrap it up in a brown paper bag, and take it to the party. Kinda like a bridal shower.
Someone should write a book for divorcing men, or at least a check list of things to leave the house with, if possible, or what to purchase, and where to look.
For instance, I went to the local Thrift Store ( Deseret Industries) and I couldn't believe they wanted $1 a piece for used spatulas, spoons and tongs. So, I went to a knock off store - Tuesday Morning - and priced the same items. They were $1.99 each, but at least you could get a matching set, if that's important to you.
Come to think of it, maybe someone already has published this kind of list. Google, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment