Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I've Seen That Look Before!!

I was riding my scooter near the South Towne Mall and I saw that look again for the second time in my life.
The first time I saw the look -- An adult man with his eyes so wide open that you can not only see the whites of his eyes, you can see the red blood vessels and the uvula in the wide open mouth of "Oh No" -- when I was a missionary in Kenosha Wisconsin. I had dropped off three missionaries on the Amtrak train bound north for Milwaukee. I had been promoted to District Leader and was gonna get the car, go get my new companion and the two other missionaries being assigned to Kenosha. However, the old DL kept the keys to the car. I was stuck in the little town of Sturdevent, WI.
We radioed conductor about our problem. He called back and said he found the Elders, got the keys and would send it back south on the next Amtrak. I waited nearly two hours for the return trip. I was late and getting anxious - after all I was all alone, and that felt strange in itself.
As the Amtrak approached from the north, I became aware of a freight train heading north on another set of tracks. As the southbound train pulled through the station, the conductor threw me the keys from the front end of the caboose. I began to time my crossing of the four train tracks only to forget all about the north bound freight train.
I believe I was carried from the tracks by my guardian angel. I landed just out of reach of the engine. That is the first time I saw a man's eyes wide open and his mouth wide open in awe of an almost accident.
Well, the second time happened today as I was eastbound on 102000 South near State Street. A white Sierra pickup truck began to pull into my lane at the same location as I was. I swerved, he swerved back and it was a near miss. I saw it again, eyes wide open, mouth wide! As he eventually passed by me, he was apologizing.....
Lori was almost able to cash in my $500,000 life insurance policy.
I guess the question is, why would I never think of getting on my bicycle without a helmet, yet motor around at 35 mph with a ball cap on backwards.
I better go buy a helmet before my kids read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment