Sunday, August 29, 2010

The More Things Change

It hit me today at church just how things have since I was a 13 year-old Deacon in the LDS Church.
Today there were four Priests (16 -- 18 year old boys) preparing the sacrament.  Three of the boys had white shirts and ties, and one boy had a suit coat on. All of the Deacons had white shirts, ties, and some sort of khaki type pants.
I remembered when I was a kid that age and how I dressed. I was like many of the other kids, at the height of fashion. It was the late 60’s and bell bottom pants were all the rage. So were turtlenecks. Most of the Deacons wore sport coats and bell bottoms. Today, it is important to wear white shirts and ties. In the 60’s, it wasn’t as important. In fact, many of us wore white turtlenecks under our coats, or a fancy sweater.
While I sat in the meeting today, I had a vivid remembrance of me standing in front of the congregation with a dark green sport coat, a purple shirt, purple & black striped tie, flair-bottom pants and blue and white patent leather shoes, with a 2 ½ heal. Boy did I look hot. I got the outfit as a graduation from Junior High School.
Thinking back on it, I probably looked like a clown. Of course, we all did. All 12 of us were hip and happening.
I don’t know why remembered that today. Perhaps it is because I haven't changed that much since then. Today I am wearing a cream colored suit with pink and silver tie, while most of the other men my age are sitting next to their wives in a dark blue suit with conservative pin stripe and a power tie.
As they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment