Sunday, July 18, 2010

Parental Bragging Rights!

Pictured are my four children, Holland, Cody, Artimesia and Bret. They are wonderfully bright and charming and all that a parent could ask for.
The reason I want to brag, is I think all parents get to brag on their children. I recently attended a Salt Lake Bee's game, and sat with the family of Clayton Mortenson. "Morty" as they cheered, was the starting pitcher for the visiting team the Sacramento Rivercats. He is a product of Rexburg, Idaho. There were cousins, brothers and sisters, dad, and mom -- I knew she was mom she had the biggest camera with the largest lens. There was even, what I can only presume, was the girlfriend. She had flown into SLC from Phoenix. She got the only text messages after he was replaced in the fifth inning. As a family they cheered, clapped and gave him support. When the infield committed errors, they let em know it.
There is nothing like family being there for you. I remember when I was a sophomore in high school and played on the Skyline Eagles football team. I wasn't really very good. I was good enough for the specialty teams. I remember one cold snowy day, we were playing West High School. I looked over on the sideline and there was my dad. Long army winter coat, hat and gloves. He had come to support me in my game.
I promised I would do the same, as much as possible. I have admired my brother and sister-in-law Bob and Sharon Dalley as they tramped around the country to soccer camp, soccer game and tournaments. They still travel as Erin plays for the University of Utah soccer team. And Alan and Nancy Snow have invested a fortune in costumes and travel expenses supporting their daughter Jessica.
Now I read on Facebook the travels and travails of my sister Jayne and her hubby Robert split their time between girls softball and gymnastics.
It all seems like work, but I know the memories live forever. I was able to watch as my children played football softball and participated in speech debates. I was lucky to be a witness to many of their successes and defeats. Now they are all moving along. Cody has a Masters Degree, and the other three are working on theirs -- Arti is currently living life large in Sante Fe New Mexico working on a degree in Literature. Bret splits his time between family, scouts and 4,000 words a week for his MBA with the University of Phoenix.
Holland wants to be a high school counselor in a small school, where he can get to know the kids and make a difference. He too, is attending U of P.
I guess they don't get to old enough to brag about.I wish I could fit in their suitcases and show up on a snowing afternoon to let them know that I am watching and that I am proud of them.
Like the Mortenson family, I am cheering!

No comments:

Post a Comment