Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Love affair with water


I don't normally listen to Country-Western music -- usually in the middle of Utah. That's when I heard a fun song about water. Don't know who sang it, but it started out that when he was six, his Dad had a blow-up pool That began his love affair with water. Most of the rest of the song deals with college break, bikinis, girls, and how all this is part of his love affair with water.
I enjoy water myself. Not for the bikinis and girls, but the relaxation it brings. The last two weekends I spent on the water.
July 3 I spent the morning at a small reservoir in Ogden Canyon. Causey Reservoir. It is a pretty little lake, three inlets, COLD water and steep sides. the area kids love to cliff jump. And it is a hoot to watch. The wind is predictable at Causey as well. After I blow up my rubber raft, I have to paddle against the wind blowing up-canyon. I found a little alcove, took in some sodas and breakfast. About noon I paddled across the lake to watch the kids talk themselves into jumping off the cliffs. I enjoyed lunch in a shady little spot. Then it is time to paddle back to shore and go home. AND, like clockwork, the wind is now blowing down-canyon. I am again paddling against the wind. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry.
Last weekend I was at Gunnison Bend Reservoir just outside of Delta Utah. It is the last lake on the Sevier River. Dirty, shallow, muddy, it is a great place to water ski and ride wave runners. I had no real desire to get into the water. But, in my rubber raft, I get to rock back and forth as the power boats create waves to enjoy. No need to paddle, the waves keep me going back to shore. I just need to stay away from the boat ramp.
Different scenario, but same result. I am relaxed and ready for a new week. I love the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment