Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Meeting A President's Challenge

It was November, 1976, and I was about to leave Minnesota and fly home to Salt Lake City. I had just about completed my church mission. All that I had left was the interview with the mission president.
I had the privilege of serving with President Douglas Callister. He was a young, dynamic individual. Still in his early 30’s he had served his church as a Bishop and a Stake President. He was the grandson of the very well loved Apostle LeGrande Richards. He was something special. He had taught me more lessons that I could share in a brief blog
*He introduced me to the scrolls of “The Greatest Salesman In The World,” written by Og Mandino. Each scroll encouraged me to seek more than who I was.
*He taught me that people rise to your expectations. He told the story of a regional church leader that expected 100% attendance at all regional meetings. It wasn’t long until he got it. When his turn was over, another regional leader remarked, you are a good region, there is no reason why we shouldn’t have 80% attendance at these meetings. It was the next meeting when he got his results.
*He taught me to love the “Parables of James E. Talmage“. An early Apostle, Talmage had written “parables” for a church magazine. They had been later compiled into a book. I asked him about these parables, and he said they were from a book that was no longer in print. Hadn’t been published for a while. I was discouraged. As a student at Dixie College, I walked into the Dixie Drug, which had all the items a drug store sells, as well as a book section, and you can appreciate my joy as I found a single copy of this wonderful treasure.
*He taught me many other lessons. Some of them stuck and, sadly, many of them didn’t. I do remember that the final challenge in my exit interview was “The next time we meet, before you say anything, show me your temple recommend.”
Well, our paths have never crossed until this past week. I don’t attend reunions, afraid of being judged -- I don’t remember names -- I … you name it, I have the excuses lined up for miles. I never expected to see him again, in person.
He now serves as a member of the First Quorum of 70.  It was Saturday night and I had decided to attend a session in the LDS Temple in Salt Lake. He was standing at a door, watching as we filed in. I took the chance, shook his hand and said “You don’t remember me, but I was one of your missionaries.”
It was then I recalled his challenge, and was grateful that I didn’t need to show him my recommend, it had allowed me in, to see him.

1 comment: